View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Positive experience with PT

Hello all! I thought it was time to share my experience with PT and how I have improved in the past year!

To make a long story short, I was diagnosed in with Neurogenic TOS in October 2011. Went to see Dr. Thompson in November and had scalene block/pec minor block first visit. Let's just say that in my report from him I had 100% range of motion PRE scalene block/pec minor block. Days later I had ZERO range of motion and couldn't lift my arm in front of, out to the side, or def not above my head.

He wanted me to start PT immediately and I did. In December, my arm was in major pain and on a return visit, I begged for an MRI of the shoulder. He said it was postural and that it was normal with TOS. However, I didn't have a problem moving my arm until the muscle blocks. MRI said I had bursitis which they told me was "nothing". My PT said that bursitis is painful and even though it was "nothing" to the doc, it still causes pain and swelling.

I went to PT 1x per week for 3 months, then 2x per week for 2 months and have been going 1x per month for the past few months. I have made EXTREME progress with PT and I can not praise her enough for helping me. Between stretching exercises, manual therapy, and kineseo tape, I feel lots better!!

I have one problem, though. From springtime until now, I have felt amazing. The weather warmed up and I felt so normal. A cold front came through last weekend and BAM! Muscles are tight again, numbness, cold, and weak in my TOS arm happens again. Do any of you have any experience with cold weather making your symptoms instantly worse? And, if so, what have you done to help with that?

Dr. Thompson suggested I do the supraclavicular decompression surgery plus pectoralis minor tenotomy. I kept talking him out of it and trudging along with PT and I am so glad I did. So for all those of you that are ready to give up, don't!

I hope my story inspires and encourages some of you to keep on trying the conservative route. Personally, I don't ever want to have this surgery! My past experiences with surgery haven't been pleasant b/c my body doesn't heal well. After my hysterectomy I had a wound vac for 15 days. Whatever complications "could" happen, always do for me! Surgery scares me to death especially when I am not guaranteed that I will be healed.

My gut instinct still tells me there's something more than TOS....and it's usually right. Too bad I don't have psychic powers and can figure it out myself. I am going to just continue with PT for as long as I can and avoid doctors and tests b/c I am tired of paying doctor bills for tests that say I'm "healthy".

JD
rjewels13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Coop42 (09-13-2012), nospam (09-12-2012), stos2 (09-13-2012), Woodstock3 (09-13-2012)