View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

For Laura and Soccertese:

Jay thinks that the mechanism is neuroregeneration, i.e., the part of the substantia nigra that is still alive somehow is creating new neurons due to the forced pace cycling. Why or how is not at all clear. This is an hypothesis, not a conclusion. I type this with great hesitation as it is not my place to speak for him.

Laura, I think you're spot on. What are the commonalities and how can they translate them into treatments?

To respond to pwpboy:

I have two take away points on this:

1. If you sit on your duff waiting for the perfect definitive "best" form of exercise, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Choose a form of exercise that you like and will make part of your daily life, then DO IT!

2. The exercise that has been clinically shown (although with a small sample) to have an average of 35% reduction in PD symptoms is forced paced cycling. If you can safely do that, and WILL do it consistently, go for it. Medicine lasts for hours at best, whereas forced pace cycling has residual benefits of up to four weeks.

To rempatterson:

Sorry I wasn't clear. He said that 1 means that I have unilateral symptoms: everything happens on my right side. Now and then my left ring finger cramps for a moment, but the few symptoms that I still have are on the right. My penmanship has gone from bad to scratch; typing with the right hand is compromised; needlework is much harder, i.e., all fine motor skills with the right hand are compromised. The rest is pretty good.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote