View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi John,

I suggest that you see an oral surgeon close to where you are rather than wait.... just in case there is an infection. It does not have to be the surgeon who extracted the tooth. Your symptoms are indicative of an infection, but also mimic a muscular spasm. The canker sore may or may not be linked to an infection. It could also be linked to your gum disease, especially if you've had a cleaning recently.

Gingivitis is the beginning of periodontal disease and with diligent home care, it can be brought under control. If the condition continues, the bacteria will progress further into the gum tissue and bone. It is not normal for healthy gums to bleed more than a few specks during a professional cleaning. If your gums bleed a lot when you have your teeth cleaned, this is a sign of more than gingivitis. It could also indicate a health problem and/or be associated with certain medications that you are taking.

I would suggest that you NOT use the shower head or the water pik on a hard setting to rinse out your mouth or gums. The hard setting is definitely too harsh and can actually injure the gum tissue.

Again, I think it's best to have this checked out and not just take an antibiotic for an undiagnosed infection.

Hope this info helps...
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousMess View Post
No bad taste. Tried taking an aspirin (or tylenol, I forget) and it seemed to help some. Still hurts though. Kind of difficult to describe the exact location of the pain, though - sometimes I feel it in my lower gum near some sort of canker-ish sore, other times it's closer to my TMJ. My OS is about to prescribe some sort of antibiotic, I think.

Also, an awkward aspect of this, other than the usual problems I associate with dental disorders, is that my OS is 500 miles away (I had the extraction in Portland over the summer, but I work in Northern CA during the school year).
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-15-2012)