View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm not sure what sort of gum disease I've got actually - at every cleaning, they call out numbers from two to four that measure something, and they tell me to floss, of course, and I've been trying to do so more frequently, but it's possible the shower thing was a bad idea and made things worse than they already were. If the gums are badly infected, what can be done?

Anyhow, I too am wary of taking antibiotics until I know more and will try and make an appointment with the local OS, assuming he'll let me.

Argh.

Thanks,

- John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi John,

I suggest that you see an oral surgeon close to where you are rather than wait.... just in case there is an infection. It does not have to be the surgeon who extracted the tooth. Your symptoms are indicative of an infection, but also mimic a muscular spasm. The canker sore may or may not be linked to an infection. It could also be linked to your gum disease, especially if you've had a cleaning recently.

Gingivitis is the beginning of periodontal disease and with diligent home care, it can be brought under control. If the condition continues, the bacteria will progress further into the gum tissue and bone. It is not normal for healthy gums to bleed more than a few specks during a professional cleaning. If your gums bleed a lot when you have your teeth cleaned, this is a sign of more than gingivitis. It could also indicate a health problem and/or be associated with certain medications that you are taking.

I would suggest that you NOT use the shower head or the water pik on a hard setting to rinse out your mouth or gums. The hard setting is definitely too harsh and can actually injure the gum tissue.

Again, I think it's best to have this checked out and not just take an antibiotic for an undiagnosed infection.

Hope this info helps...
Bryanna
NervousMess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-15-2012)