View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

John,

The numbers that are called out during your cleaning are measurements as to how far down the periodontal probe will slide into the area between the tooth and the gum. There are 6 measurements taken on every tooth and each one indicates the depth of the pocket from the top of the gum line to the bone level. The measurements are in millimeters and they range from "0" to "10". The numbers "0" through "3" are considered a normal depth. Anything deeper than a "3" indicates some bone loss. The larger the number the deeper the pocket.

If you have recession, this is where the gum has receded lower than normal, then the pocket depths may not be deep but the bone loss can be significant when you measure from where the gum line should actually be down to the actual bone level.

If you have normal to slightly deep pocket depths, say 3 to 4 or 5 mms deep and you have chronic gingivitis, you have the onset of periodontal disease which will progress to deeper pockets, recession and bone loss. Gingivitis does not ever stay in that stage of inflammation, it always worsens if it is not brought under control.

It is important to understand that bleeding gums are never normal when brushing, flossing or having your teeth cleaned. Bleeding from the gums always indicates inflammation and usually a build up of bacteria. It is also important to understand what disease process is going on with your gums so that you can learn how to bring it under control. So ask your hygienist next time you see her!

Home care on a daily basis should always include thorough (not aggressive) tooth brushing with a soft bristle brush (change the brush every 3 months), and flossing in between every tooth. There is no need to use a mouthwash if you are thorough with your home care. Mouthwashes that contain alcohol and/or preservatives and/or dyes are actually harmful to your gums, your salivary glands and your digestive system. These mouthwashes are meant to kill germs, which means they kill off ALL of the germs, both good and bad. It is never a good idea to kill off the good germs as they are necessary for the health of your teeth and gums. The mouth is not meant to be a sterile environment.. it's meant to be a healthy one

Try using different types of floss and see which works best for you. Also you can try some different types of dental picks in addition to using the floss.
One really good one is called soft picks...here's a link..
http://www.dentalproductshopper.com/...s-dental-picks.

Don't be alarmed over this... your gum condition is probably controllable at this point. Start being diligent with your home care every day and ask about your gum issues at your next cleaning.

Have a good weekend!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousMess View Post
I'm not sure what sort of gum disease I've got actually - at every cleaning, they call out numbers from two to four that measure something, and they tell me to floss, of course, and I've been trying to do so more frequently, but it's possible the shower thing was a bad idea and made things worse than they already were. If the gums are badly infected, what can be done?

Anyhow, I too am wary of taking antibiotics until I know more and will try and make an appointment with the local OS, assuming he'll let me.

Argh.

Thanks,

- John
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-15-2012), NervousMess (09-17-2012)