View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ebrackett,

FYI... I am in the dental field and I can answer your question.

If you did not have that lump (cyst) prior to the extraction, then a cyst in, near or under the jaw after an extraction is not normal. You should call the Oral Surgeon (not your general dentist) first thing monday and get in to see him the same day. Sometimes a cyst forms from an abscessed tooth and it can still be felt as a lump for some time after the extraction. If it wasn't present prior, it definitely should not be there now.

I would suggest that you not try to manipulate it as this could just cause further inflammation. You can apply warm, moist (not dry) heat to that area to encourage some blood flow which may reduce the swelling to some degree. You can do this a few times a day... 15-20 minutes on. If you notice anything unusual inside of your mouth... swelling, sores, foul odor... rinse with warm salt water 4 times a day until you see the oral surgeon.

Just curious... was this tooth previously root canaled? Why was it extracted?

Keep in touch here... feel free to ask your questions.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrackett View Post
I had #18 (pretty positive) extracted 10 days ago and I shaved tonight, beard had been growing since day before extraction, and I noticed that there is a pea(large)/marble sized mass that feels like a cyst or mass. It can a move around a little if I put pressure on it. I don't feel pain when I touch it, but I have been having a certain amount of pain still after 10 days. I called Dr. on call and got an office manager call-back...not exactly reassuring. He said to call the office Monday if it's still a problem ( I know damn well that nothing will change for the better by Monday), it's 11pm Friday eve. Thanks for any help in advance.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-15-2012)