View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 04:59 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
That's how my PN began, but this is the first I've heard of it referred to as "folded sock", so thanks for that. Eventually, the burning pain began, and while I was given a scrip for gabapentin (and it worked at just 100 mg.), I also tried R-Lipoic Acid at close to the same time, and it worked much better, without side effects. Haven't taken gabapentin since.

It doesn't work for everyone, but given the alternatives, IMO it's worth the try.

Doc
I've also already been taking 900mg daily of the ALA. It relieved the stocking-glove feeling which seems to be the popular term. To me it felt like my feet were swollen, or almost like inflated balloons, if you get my drift. A slight improvement in the pain. I'm not sure what the dosage was where I started getting some relief with the gabapentin. I did get relief from the pins and needles and burning, but I found that less bothersome than the "folded sock", for which I was REALLY looking for relief & got little. So I worked my way up to 1800mg daily. That lasted a week, since there was no improvement. While working my way up & way down, I've had new strange feelings in my feet along the way, but no additional relief. I have a friend who lives far from me, who couldn't tolerate the gaba, & is now on the lowest dose of Nortryptelene & seems to be enjoying some relief & no side effects, so far.
groucho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote