View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain Medications

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach2 View Post
Good morning all.

I am fairly new to "NeuroTalk" and I am looking for some input. I have already posted several times to the section on Peripheral Neuropathy & the Spine section.

Here is bridfly my story.

I have been thru 7 spine surgeries which includes surgery to implant and remove a spinal cord stimulator. I have severe cervical and lumbar issues and have had surgery where Harrington Rods were used. I still have spine issues and ongoing problems that include: weakness in my arms; radiating pain into my shoulders; numbness in legs; loss of balance issues; An EMG was done and showed severe nerve problems in my cervical and lumbar regions; severe arthritis in cervical and lumbar regions and neuropathy.

Other healh issues include; Type 2 diabetes; congenital absent left kidney; right kidney disease; surgery for a blood clot on my left leg and surgery for pancreatic cancer.

I started to see a new neurologist about 8 months ago or so. He started me on medication for pain management. Initially I was on Oxydodone and baclofen but was taken off of it because of side effects that didnt go away. I had trouble breathing and lightheadedness.

So I was put on Hydrocodone/Tyelenol 7.5-750 mg and can take a maximum of 6 tablets per day and Tizanidine 2 mg tablets where I take 3 tablets per day.

But here is what i noticed on the Rx. He put down a diagnosis of "Chronic Intractable Pain."

From what I saw when I googled it, it said basically that with all that is wrong there is no other treatmet options left. So does this mean just medicate me at this point that I am at the end of the road for finding any answers or treatment for what is wrong.

I'm finding that when I see him and the meds arent working the answer is just increase the medications. How long can you go on and just increasing the medications so that I can survive and function during the day?

I guess I am frustrated beyond belief at this point. I find it difficult getting thru the day without the medication. But on the medication I find it difficult as well due to side effects.

I guess I am just looking for input on what Chrong Intractable Pain is and how to deal with chronic pain when there may be no answers or treatment left.

Thanks for listening.

Allan
Hi Allan,

I have had much experience with narcotic pain med's, and have also had the experience of doctors just increasing the dosage if they have no other solutions to treatment of severe chronic nerve pain. I started with demerol, then was switched to morphine (when bad side effects occurred), then to fentanyl (when I was completely disabled with narcotic bowel syndrome). The dosage on the fentanyl was slowly increased over the course of 7 years, until I was rendered completely bed-ridden for 1.5 years with terrible side effects, which included not being able to eat. The bottom line for me was to taper back down to a very low dose of fentanyl. It took much effort and determination, but I am back on my feet and enjoying life again, on a wellness program which includes 2 hours of walking 5 - 6 days a week. I still have to deal with a lot of pain, but at least I can function at a minimal level.
I am very careful about what I eat, trying to make the most healthy choices that I can, no alcohol, no junk food, etc. The conventional medical community has given up on me, telling me that I just have to "live with it" for the rest of my life. However, I am not going to give up, and when I can plan to investigate naturopathic medicine.
Lesley McPhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote