Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous1 View Post
Hi groucho,

I recently started taking nortriptyline about three days ago, it seems to be helping with my pain. It is to soon to tell what the complete benefit will be, because it can take up to 2 weeks for the drug to reach it's maximum effectiveness.
It is also worth mentioning that I am taking the following:
B12 Methyl 5000mcg
Benfotiamine 150mg twice daily
R Lipoic Acid 600mg / split into 200mg 3 times daily

I noticed less burning and pain in my feet when I increased the dose of R Lipoic Acid, so it may be a combination of the two now helping with my foot issues.

I take 25mg of nortriptyline at night before bed and let the effects taper off during the day.
This is helping me some for now, but I am sure it will need modification in the future.
Hi Nervous1,
I've been taking 900mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid for several months now (3-300mg gel caps that I found easier on the stomach). I cut the pain very slightly and about eliminated the so called stocking-glove feeling. I also was taking Befotiamine, for about 3 months with no noticeable effect, and have switched to daily thiamin (B1) tablets. Recently added 50mg B6, 1000mcg (cheap) B12, and 1600mg folic acid. The latter 2 were in the normal range, but my homocystiene level was high. My Neuro recommended the folic acid for this reason to raise my methylmalonic acid (likely due to low folate).

Do you have the "folded sock syndrome" where it feels like there is something behind your toes near the ball of the foot, that you are stepping on, all the time? If so, has the Nortryptilene done anything yet for that. The gabapentin barely touched it for me, but did reduce pins & needles and burning. The numbness isn't very great and pretty much just in my (larger) toes, and is not too noticeable when I first get out of bed in the AM.
groucho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote