View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Persistent, long term fever after extraction/need HELP!

I need of MAJOR help re: persistent low grade fever after an extraction (actual question below).

Background:For six months, I have been having weird dental problems and now they are potentially serious.

It actually started with NO problems.....no pain, fever...NOTHING. This concerns tooth #31 (lower right)

I had an onlay fall off. I went to the dentist and she said a crown would be better. She had GREAT problems putting on a crown. It broke repeatedly. Then, she put on one with permanent cement and it cracked before I left the office! Perhaps there are lab problems...I just don't know. Eventually, that tooth became over the top painful, I believe from the trauma.

I ended up with a root canal. The next thing I know, I had ear pain and a weird bump next to that tooth. I was dx'd with two sinus infections, but later an ENT checked me out and told me he didn't think they were sinus infections, but dental concerns.

Flash forward:

I went to a new dentist and extracted the tooth. He also did a graft. That was 11+ days ago. The actual surgery went well. I was on antibiotics...ended up on two of them at the same time. The only thing is next to the tooth that was extracted, I had a root canaled tooth from many years ago. During the extraction, it was ripped apart and the filling is exposed. The dentist has said repeatedly it is not of a concern, but considering the fever...I'm concerned.

Since the day after the extraction, I have had a low grade fever. 99 to 100 degrees. This is high for me. My blood pressure has gone up and my B Pressure medication had to be doubled. Also, my ear pain continues. Also had malaise.

I went to my internist and he is running many blood tests. So far, no sign of infection, so I got off the antibiotics. I did two CBCs before making this decision. AFter getting off the antibiotics, I feel generally a little better, but the low grade fever persists. And the ear pain persists.

I went back to the ENT and he said my sinuses look great. I went back to the dentist and he said the surgery site looks great.

There are still many, many tests that have not come back yet. I have to go to the hospital for a few more tests next week...biologic testing. The actual site of the extraction/bone graft looks good...no redness, etc. I've had little pain at the actual site of the extraction/bone graft.

Has anyone had a low grade fever for a VERY LONG TIME after an extraction? What might this mean? Other than blood work, what else might I look for? One suggestion made is to remove the graft..thoughts on this???

I am very concerned.

Thank you.

Last edited by Vowel Lady; 09-16-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote