View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I feel so sorry for you Dmalt...I am currently going through a dental nightmare and am very frightened.

I also have small veins and medical professionals have a very hard time getting my blood or inserting an IV.

Things that have helped me A LOT include:
1. Drink extra water the day before, however the day that you are going to get the actual "stick," drink A TON OF WATER. I mean almost constantly drink for hours before the IV.
2. If you see they are having problems, suggest that they warm the area in some way....sometimes they have those packs that they can break or they can put very warm/hot water in a rubber glove. Then put this on top of the vein they are going to use for at least three minutes.
3. If you are having a lot of IVs or blood tests and it is getting painful, or ever find yourself in the hospital, ask for a tube of EMLA and have them rub this cream on your hands and inside your arms. You can also buy something called LMX cream and do the same thing about 30 minutes before any kind of needle stick. It usually reduces the pain by about a 1/3. EMLA is prescription. LMX is over the counter and is super expensive. I save it for when I'm getting lots of tests.
4. The Butterfly is almost always better for people with small veins. It is a small needle.

Bryanna: I hope you can take a look at my post...added additional info., it is pretty thorough. Thank you.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote