View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute_massage View Post
Wow - Didn't even think that there are norms for diabetics and norms for non-diabetics when it came to B-12 levels... Mine was ordered by my endocrinologist, so I'm wondering why he didn't think to tell me that my number -453 - was not normal... In fact, the nurse and the dr. said it was a totally normal number...
Thanks for your input... Gonna mention this to my endo at next appt. and start taking a B-12 supplement...
Don't be put off if your endo does not seem interested in anything to do with B-12. This is the case with MANY physicians. And it even happened to me about 5 years ago. I had just been diagnosed with the beginning of diabetic neuropathy in my toes. When my former podiatrist used some kind of electric file or whatever the heck it was, I nearly jumped out of the chair and I yelled and he yelled and said 'Good Good, you have feeling". I remember saying "What the h do you mean good good?" and he said 'We want lots of feeling' Since my husband has had neuropathy for 20 years I knew all about it. So I IMMEDIATELY went on B-12 (Methyl B-12) and in two weeks the buzzing, the burning, etc. was virtually gone.

Well. one day my husband was at a podiatry appointment. Our regular doctor's partner took over that day and he was working on my husband. Because the other guy regularly gave my husband a free B-12 shot whenever he got his feet worked on, I simply asked this guy if he was giving out shots too.

What was his answer. I will NEVER forget this conversation.

He said "I NEVER give anyone B-12 unless they are anemic, I don't believe in it". I quietly explained about my diabetic neuropathy and how Methyl B-12 helped me TREMENDOUSLY. He still shook his head and said "I don't believe in it". Well guess what happened over one year later?

As my husband is sitting in the chair being worked on by his usual podiatrist, his partner pokes his head in the door and said "Can I have a word with you?" I left the room and he said to me "I have just been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy and my feet are burning, CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME THE INFORMATION ON METHYL B-12"?

See? We CAN educate the professionals sometimes, now can't we??

lol

Take care, Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote