View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhidell View Post
Any first-hand or second-hand positive stories on ACDF? Everything I see is fully negative or partly negative, which is fine, but I would love to hear words of encouragement. I hope I get more than one respondent, but will appreciate anyone replying of course. -----------
I now have multiple professional opinions and unfortunately, it is time for acdf in 10 days. It is single level acdf c6-c7 and cadaver bone with titanium plate is the "hardware". I have tried everything else, I have researched, and I am on the road to having permanent nerve damage if I do not do this. I have no neck pain going in to this surgery just radiating pain from shoulder blade down to left hand including my arm--arm has so much pain. I am aware of the negative aspects of this surgery, but I just wanted to know if someone with a positive story could post or pm me. I am pretty scared. This surgery is due to a blown out ruptured disc that occured in March and unfotunately, nerve is severly impinged so the nonsurgery route is not an option. I really hope that there is someone out there with words of confidence and positive stories. I have no other medical conditions and I am not overweight and the surgeon says this all helps. I would greatly appreciate your input. thanks
Yeah, I have one. I had a C5-6 HNP that I nursed along until the neurosurgeon said all avenues of (a lot of) conservative care have been exhausted. I was also getting weaker, with increased numbness and experienced noticable atrophy.

So, at 8-9 months post-injury, I underwent a fusion, anterior plate with cage. A couple, three days in the hospital...uneventfull recovery...off of pain meds after a couple weeks with no problems with PT. Everything went upside down at 3 months post-op for unrelate problems but in so far as the cervical fusion is concerned, it wasn't that bad and feel that if that had been my only problem, I would be mostly fine now. Certainly much better than before the fusion. I am happy that I did it and feel that the surgery resolved to a very large degree what it was designed to ameliorate. I would do it again if I had to choose over again.

Hope that helps!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ajhidell (09-18-2012), eva5667faliure (09-24-2012)