View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 11:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update on my condition.

So I am not sure if I will get a reply to this post, the thread has been dead for a few months now, but I am going to go for it anyway. It has been 13 months since the first concussion. I have been through several different treatments and medicines, some successful, some not.

I was on Depakote and Topamax, both of which I thoroughly despised and stopped. One thing that has been very effective is nerve blocks. I was a little scared at first getting a needle put into my head, but it made me feel normal, something I havent felt in awhile, for about a month. I was very encouraged by this and beginning to think i was totally healed. I was wrong, shortly after a vacation the headaches came back and hit me hard. I am still not sure if it was due to the travel or the stress my girlfriend had been putting me through at the time. I got another nerve block to deal with these headaches and once again it made a world of difference.

My fall ball lacrosse was beginning at college and I was anxious to prove to my teammates what I could do. The first scrimmage I participated in I played terribly, but made it through unharmed. I intelligently skipped the next scrimmage just to limit the chance of injury but played in the next one. In this scrimmage I once again played pretty poorly (after not playing for a year and a half, dont judge me.) and decided to take as many runs as possible to get back into it. I took a hit to the body and fell to the ground but felt fine. After the scrimmage though concussion symptoms set in, mainly a mental fog but I knew what was going on I have been through it before.

I have yet to meet with doctors about it yet but my trainer knows and I know that I probably had another concussion. I am suffering through HEAVY headaches. My future as an athlete is in serious doubt as well, I am about to lose something that I have built my entire life around. I cannot even internalize the emotional pain I am feeling about potentially losing sports because of the physical pain I am currently enduring.

It took me over a year to heal from the last concussion and I was not even 100%. I know that I now have a long and painful road to recovery from this latest concussion. I am at probably the lowest point of my young life in the sense that I am probably losing what I love most and it is going to be hard to adapt to life without it. I am very mentally tough though and I will find a way through it.

what I guess I am looking for through this post is some sort of hope or inspiration or anything. Or maybe I just needed to do this to vent, however any reply is greatly appreciated.
Dallasstar1213 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-15-2012)