Thread: Straws, foods
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Actually, I'm VERY bulbar AND a straw is the ONLY way I can drink. I cannot swallow liquids AT all with my head tilted back -- as in raising a glass to your mouth and angling your head back. I can ONLY drink with my chin in a 90° angle (or less) to my neck (I often "tuck" to swallow). A straw is the only way I can manage this. In addition, I can only drink with a skinny straw. My lips are weak and cannot "hold" a thick straw. Sometimes I have to "grip" the straw with my teeth.

I carry straws IN my purse. In a pinch, I can take a sip from a glass and hold it in my mouth until I put my head into the right formation -- but, the liquid will often dribble out of the corners of my mouth (since my lips don't form a seal). Hey, if I'm thirsty enough!!!!

I still have to be very careful when I drink -- I take small sips and pay close attention to how things are going down.

BTW, I have a TERRIBLE time swallowing pills with water. I put the pills in my mouth -- get a small amount of water -- and then the "tossing" begins. I have to toss my head back to get the pill/water mixture to the back of my mouth, near my throat -- then put my chin back at the 90° angle so I can swallow. If the pill/water mixture moves OR if my throat doesn't feel just "right", I have to "toss" again. Sometimes I have to "toss" 20 or more times BEFORE I get my meds down in the morning and again at night. It is EXHAUSTING!! Yep, I've looked into it -- some of my meds do NOT come in liquid form and some of them CANNOT be crushed.