View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhidell View Post
Hello, I hope all is well still. I have a single level c6 c7 acdf scheduled the 24th. I only hear horror stories about this surgery. I am scared s-less to be exact, but I have no other choice than to get the surgery. My left arm has atrophe, I am numb down my arm and it is getting very weak to the point of dropping things-not to mention pain from shoulder blade to fingers-no neck pain though. I am literally terrified that my post-op life will be pain meds and constant pain from this surgery. I wish people who had sucessful acdf's would post-but I guess they wouldn't if they had good experiences. I have had other Doctor opinions and I cannot wait longer for the surgery or I will have permanent nerve damage. Anyhow, if you have any words of encouragement, I would greatly appreciate them. thanks
Hi! I had a multi-level ACDF (C4-5, C6-7) on September 5. I had the same symptoms as you, left arm getting weaker everyday, horrendous pain in the shoulder blade area and down the left arm. I too was terrified, but when I woke up from surgery, that terrible, terrible pain was gone! I had no pain from the incision, it was just tender. The worst part for me was the throat pain and difficulty swallowing. The throat pain has pretty much subsided, but I still have some trouble swallowing. I'm not real happy about my post op care at the hospital, but that's another story. About a week after surgery, I developed pain between my shoulder blades. I called the doc and they said that was pretty normal and prescribed muscle relaxants three times a day. The pain has subsided somewhat, now it is only occasionally. I have good days and bad. I must remind myself that I'm not even two weeks post op yet. But I'm glad I had it done, would do it again in a heartbeat!

Beckel
Beckel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote