View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Hi Judie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by judiesva View Post
Any ideas on what I should say/ask regarding meds at her neuro appt or her pc (dont have an appt with either at the moment-waiting for her pc to call back)?
Tell him/her what's been tried, what's worked, and what hasn't.

AFAIK, almotriptan (Axert) is the only triptan approved for use in adolescents 12-17 yrs.

Despite studies suggesting efficacy of the nasal form of sumatriptan (Imitrex) in adolescents, it has not yet been approved by the FDA for use on minors. Doctors who are using it with minors are doing so off-label.

Is your daughter keeping a headache log / journal? (Google same). If not, help her start one. It will help in identifying triggers and treatment.

Do any of these doctors specialize solely in headaches/migraines? IME, neuros who do know a lot more than regular neuros. You might also seek out a headache/migraine clinic.

Cervicogenic headaches are often characterized by tension going up the back/sides of the neck and blossoming into a pounding wall-banger. Early intervention works best when possible. These may or may not be related to migraine; the main difference being the kinds of medications they respond to. If they respond to Imitrex, they are likely migraine.

Part of the cervicogenic headaches I got related to my sitting at a computer for hours on end (bad posture -- especially neck & shoulders -- and building tension). The right PT helped me figure this out (after two others failed) and part of the solution was doing seated chin tuck exercises (Google same). I can't say it will work for every case, but bring it up with doctors. PT may help.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 09-19-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typos
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote