View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Keeping pain manageable from mobility exercises

You hear people say "No pain, no gain" doesn't apply to TOS. Well, yes and no, in my experience.

I agree that you don't want to push too hard and make your muscles go into spasms. If that happens and you go into a flare, you can't really exercise until it calms down.

Inflammation, however, is another matter. I've been doing these mobility exercises for almost 2 1/2 years now and I still get some inflammation in my shoulders and arms at times. It's not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning, but I still get it. It just means I've stretched some tissues and nerves that aren't used to it. Usually when I do something new. It's actually a good thing. It's necessary for healing, I've learned.

I used to think if I did something like this that caused pain, or exacerbated my symptoms, I shouldn't do it, but when I could hardly move anymore, I realized that my thinking was wrong. If I had to work, I don't think I would've been able to keep this up because in the beginning the pain was pretty bad. There's kind of an art to this. It takes a lot of experimenting. Most of what I've been doing really isn't in a book, or on a DVD, it's just me moving around looking like a dork.
Coop42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote