View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, and welcome. I don't know anything about chronic fatigue syndrome, but I'm glad you're getting tested for MG. Those symptoms are certainly consistent with MG.

Your doctor should give you a blood test to look for antibodies that cause MG. If it comes back positive, that's a diagnosis. But many people with MG are "seronegative"--that means their blood tests negative. I've seen numbers as high as 20%. Many of us on this forum are seronegative. Your blood will have to be sent off to a special lab, and results can take a few weeks.

There are two other types of antibodies your blood can be tested for if the main test is negative: LEMS and MuSK. I am sure your doctor will also do general blood tests for muscle enzymes to indicate whether you could have some sort of muscular dystrophy--there are many kinds.

If your blood test is negative, the next step should be a single fiber EMG (SFEMG). This is a test done with thin needles. The doctor will insert them into a muscle and ask you to clench slightly and hold, while the machine picks up the electrical signals. Not all neurologists perform this test--you need a neuro who specializes in neuromuscular diseases. If you get an appointment for a SFEMG, let us know! We'll give you tips. SFEMG's are considered highly accurate, though we also have some people here with an MG diagnosis who had a normal SFEMG.

Some neurologists who suspect a patient has MG will give the patient a trial of a drug called Mestinon (generic name is pyridostigmine) even before the tests come back. If you respond well to Mestinon, that aids in the diagnosis. Mestinon doesn't cure MG, but for some it relieves symptoms.

Meanwhile, please be careful. I don't know if you have MG, but it's certainly a real possibility. MG can be unpredictable, and symptoms can get worse fast. If you have a new symptom, or suddenly get worse, or if you are having trouble breathing or can't swallow--that's a medical emergency. Go to the ER or call an ambulance. Tell them you might have MG. There are effective emergency treatments for MG.

Hope I'm not overwhelming you! This is a great place to ask questions. Let us know how it goes.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote