View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

hi wbwo,

Just like your daughter I am a college student and I am on lamictal. My long term memory isn't the best either. Sometimes my family will talk about things I have done years ago, which I should remember, and I have no memory of ever doing it. It also effects my school work like your daughter. I have biology as my major and it requires a lot of studying and the information you are learning is constantly building on top of each other from class to class. When studying for tests I read the power points, or notes, over and over again until they are like pictures in my brain. When I get to the test it's almost like I can recall the exact slide, or place I wrote it, to answer the question. I study the most the two days leading up to the test and make sure I read thru every single thing right before the test just so it's fresh in my mind. I also have to sometimes review past classes to refresh what I had previously learned, because I have a hard time remembering it. I know everyone is different when it comes to studying, even when they don't have epilepsy, so it's even harder when it's thrown into the loop. These are just the things that work for me. I take hours studying but it pays off in the long run.
I just got done playing 4 years of college water polo so I can't say I've experienced any of the lack of interest you are talking about. You say she wasn't always like that, so like one of the previous people said I would look more into the depression side of things. I know medications can effect people differently, but I also know personally that constantly studying and getting grades back that aren't showing how much time and effort you put into it when you know the material is very defeating and embarrassing. To know that your struggling in your classes because you have to struggle outside of your classes with something no one else has to worry about makes you just ask yourself why it had to happen to you. None of those things are easy to deal with and you may share everything in your relationship but those feelings are a little more difficult to share. I luckily had a team as my family at school and as my backbone to keep me going and to pick me off the pool deck a couple times when I "flopped" haha.
I don't know if any of this helped, but I guess to know someone else has the same problem helps. It helped me to see some other people were having memory problems and it wasn't just me, so thank you for that.
Hope your daughter does well!!
tortor1990 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote