View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresakoch View Post
Oh, and I had Mono at about the same age as you did (I was 18 when I had it, I'm 52 now), and like you, I never felt like I "got over" it.

Everyone thinks that Mono is highly contagious, but the fact of the matter is that it is only "contagious" to people who are susceptible to it - most of the population has a built-in immunity to it.

The incidence of Mono in the Celiac community is somewhat higher than in the general population. Not sure why, but my guess is a compromised immune system.

Please note that I am not suggesting that you might have CD instead of MG; one doesn't "cause" the other, and you can have both conditions at the same time. While both are chronic conditions, CD is quite easily managed - a GF diet will usually clear up most problems within a year, and those problems will usually remain at bay as long as a GF diet is maintained.

By the time MG is diagnosed, a lot of damage has been done to the body that cannot ever be undone - we use medications to slow the progression of the disease and to ease the effects of the disease.
Teresa,
Thanks for your post, even if it turns out I don't have MG, I've learned a lot about it on this forum. It makes a lot of sense, if the receptors are the problem then, you're right, no amount of exercise will help that! Also I completely forgot but I have been tested for Celiac twice - blood test twice and a endoscopy biopsy. During those tests I was negative and I ate a ton of wheat and other stuff all the time. I also forgot that I was tests for SLE and that was ruled out too.
Azriel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote