Thread: MG or MND?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice md View Post
I think it is indeed reasonable to ask your neurologist to test you for MG.
Would I know if he already had? He has done a series of blood tests so one or more of then could have been to test for MG, or if he suspected MG would he have sent me for a chest xray or ultrasound (which he hasn't)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southblues View Post
What does salt have to do with MG??
It was a post I found somewhere on the net where someone made a link between salt cravings and adrenal gland problems, he then went on to say that the adrenal problems affected his thymus.

He had a thymectomy for his MG when the possibility was that the thymus was only misperforming because he had adrenal gland poblems.

I know you shouldn't get too carried away with what you read on the net, but if you're careful it can be a valuable tool.

Certainly I should have told my neurologist about my massively excessive salt intake but by the time I saw the neurologist the intake had setlled down, added to that is that for some reason interview type situations trigger my emotions so I have to try and talk through a screwed up face when all I want to do is get out of there.

For that reason the visits to the neurologist are not as productive as they should be.

I looked on the net when my problems first began and had little doubt that if they continued to get worse then it would be MND, my symptoms were "textbook" as my neurologist later put it. It wasn't until I realised that fatigue was a major component of my problems that I looked to see if this was consistant with MND and I found MG as a possibility.

To be clear though, my strength in the affected muscles has gradually diminished and never returns to 'full' now. One month ago my left arm/hand could have near full strength but would tire very quick with any work, now there is a permanent weakness to go with the fatiguability.

There is one anomaly that showed up on the EMG, the neurologist said it is not consistent with MND but more with diabetes or a vitamin deficientcy. I don't have diabetes and I think a lot of the blood tests have been done to try and identify the anomaly.
Andrew.W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote