View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

DFayesMom,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. I am sorry to hear of your struggles and injuries this past year. You will likely get better information here than from the neurologist. Most have very little understanding of concussion let alone what you are experiencing.

If you want a good driving analysis, you need to be checked out by a driving rehab therapist. The neuro can not make that decision for you.

I stopped most driving on my own. I would defer to my wife when we were together. Then she was following me, pulled me over, and I came clean. Now, I only drive on my good days and in light traffic. I had three close calls last fall when I needed to drive because my wife was at work. I had bumped my head working on my truck in early October and it sent my brain spinning for 6 months.

The common problems with driving caused by PCS are:
Easily distracted by other stimulation.
Loss of peripheral vision skills
Almost imperceptible absence seizures where the brain loses focus for a second or two.
Lack of ability to multi-task leaving the brain completely focused on one task. For me this was, trying to shift, watch for traffic, and work the brake, clutch and gas pedal at the same time. I just froze.

I know far too many brain injured people who have received their life changing injury from another driver who was not fully focused on driving. Life is too long to live it with a history of maiming or killing someone with your inattentive driving.

Plus, you have a little one who needs you safe at home. Or not putting her at risk.

You likely have what is called Multiple Impact Syndrome. It is an accumulation of concussions that combine to cause longer term dysfunctions. You need an extended period of quiet rest to see if your brain can recover. You should also be supplementing your brain's nutrition with B-12, omega 3,6, and 9 fish oil and a bunch of other stuff. I can list it all later.

Unless you can seriously reduce your work load/stress load at work, you need to take some time off. Many have tried to recover while continuing their busy life. It rarely works.

As one who fully understands what limited driving is like, please be very careful before you get back on the road. I drive less than 500 miles a year most years and less than 1500 miles on my good years. I went 2 years without driving at all. Those near misses can be very scary. I have never made contact with another vehicle and do not intend on letting my brain cause an accident.

Actually, I should call it a collision. Accidents are accidental. Driving while compromised results in collisions. Here in Idaho we have a violation called inattentive driving. You don't even have to violate the rules of the road to be cited for inattentive driving.

Hear is a link I found for you. http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/rehabil...g-Program.aspx

My best to you and yours as you deal with these struggling issues.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 09-23-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote