View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Vowel Lady,

I answered this post this morning... have no idea where it went to!

Oh Well, let's try again.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to have an infection in the gums, tooth or w/i a dental cavity w/o it showing up in the blood work?

YES, IT IS POSSIBLE BECAUSE THE IMMUNE SYSTEM HAS AN AWESOME ABILITY TO FIGHT INFECTION AND IT MAY BE MINUTE AT THIS POINT. IT COULD ALSO BE INFLAMMATION AND NOT AN INFECTION. THERE ARE MANY BLOOD TESTS THAT CAN BE DONE TO DETECT INFLAMMATION AND INFECTION. SOME TESTS ARE WBC, ESR, SERUM C-REACTIVE PROTEIN, HOMO CYSTEINE AND SERUM INTERLEUKIN-6 LEVELS.

2. Have you ever heard of anyone having crazy fevers after a dental procedure and does it usually mean infection?

FEVERS CAN OCCUR FROM ANY SURGICAL TRAUMA. SOMETIMES IT TAKES SEVERAL WEEKS FOR THE BODY TEMPERATURE TO BE NORMAL AGAIN.

3. Is the removal of the graft after 10 days likely to be difficult and/or traumatic? Would it be better to go to an Oral Surgeon for this removal? (I'm kinda thinking I might have trouble convincing one to do it under these circumstances).

ANY SURGICAL PROCEDURE IS GOING TO CAUSE TRAUMA TO THE SITE AND THE IMMUNE SYSTEM. DEPENDING ON HOW THE GRAFT WAS DONE AND WHAT MATERIAL WAS USED... IT MAY NOT MAY NOT BE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE IT. AN ORAL SURGEON DEFINITELY... NOT A GENERAL DENTIST.

4. Is my ear pain likely nerve pain or muscle pain? (As a side note: I've been to an ENT twice and he says my ear pain is related to dental issues).

YOUR ENT DR THINKS IT'S DENTAL RELATED. I TEND TO AGREE. HOWEVER, I THINK THE CULPRIT MAY BE THE ROOT CANALED TOOTH NEXT TO THE SURGICAL SITE MORE SO THAN THE GRAFT. THAT TOOTH HAS BEEN CHRONICALLY INFECTED SINCE IT WAS ROOT CANALED. THE BACTERIA FROM THAT TOOTH COULD BE SPREADING TO THE NEWLY SURGERIZED AREA. tHAT TOOTH NEEDS TO BE DIAGNOSED PROPERLY BECAUSE A SECOND SURGERY MAY NOT BE THE ANSWER IF THAT TOOTH IS THE CULPRIT OF YOUR CURRENT SITUATION.

I have had patients who had an elevated C-Reactive Protein for years. Their physicians associating it with cardiac .... never dental. After their root canaled teeth were removed, there CRP came down to normal. The same goes for patients with periodontal disease. This exact serum marker does not elevate with everyone.... it could be a different marker that is abnormal rather than the CRP.

My suggestion is to have the root canaled tooth evaluated properly and consider removing that source of infection. Also, you need to keep in mind that I have not seen you clinically or have I seen any xrays. So the information that I am giving you is the basic facts of what can occur in cases such as yours.

I know this is very scary to you.... what to do, what to do!! I've said it many times... root canaled teeth are a necrotic mess inside the dentin tubules. Any surgery that is done next to a root canaled tooth can be jeopardized due to the chronic state of infection that is living in that area of bone as it continuously shares the same blood supply. It is common sense and unfortunately commonly over looked.

Your dentist may not want to acknowledge the issues with this root canaled tooth. But if it were me, that is what I would be looking at.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady View Post
Hi Bryanna

HELP! Here is where I am at the moment and need to make a decision very soon re: removing the graft. I have had the low grade fever for approximately three weeks after an extraction/dental graft. Also have had ear pain on the same side. I'm very concerned about my health.

Just a background reminder...I had a graft put in immediately (same day) after an extraction, which was relatively soon after a root canal. This is the same tooth that has been bothering me for 5 to 6 months.

To see what might be going on, I have had a lot of blood work...16 vials of blood altogether. I took a blood culture x3 at the hospital. This was taken approximately 6 days after being completely off of antibiotics. The preliminary report came back fine (no infection). The final report should be back any day now (they culture it for five days).

My blood work indicated that I have Sjorgens Syndrome (sp?). I've had dry eyes for some time now and dry mouth, actually for a very short amount of time.

The dentist office called regarding removing the stiches...which I did the other day and spoke w/ the doctor at length about my options. He also gave me a shot of Ozone in the area, saying that this might help with inflammation.

He said after 10 days it is hard to take out the graft and he said that the graft should NOT be causing any problems ... it looks perfect. I asked him to take an xray of the graft and he changed the subject and basically refused stating that it looked "textbook perfect," one of the best ones he has done.
However, he stated that he would be willing to remove the graft if I wanted him to.

I am very concerned about MY HEALTH.

I went to an Oral Surgeon for a second opinion and he stated that I justed needed more rest time...give it two more weeks...rinsing with salt water and the fever should abate. That was about a week ago. The fever is the same...perhaps a tiny bit worse.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to have an infection in the gums, tooth or w/i a dental cavity w/o it showing up in the blood work?
2. Have you ever heard of anyone having crazy fevers after a dental procedure and does it usually mean infection?
3. Is the removal of the graft after 10 days likely to be difficult and/or traumatic? Would it be better to go to an Oral Surgeon for this removal? (I'm kinda thinking I might have trouble convincing one to do it under these circumstances).
4. Is my ear pain likely nerve pain or muscle pain? (As a side note: I've been to an ENT twice and he says my ear pain is related to dental issues).

Thank you!!!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-23-2012)