View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New at this, any suggestions?

Hi everyone, needing some advice here. I do not want to walk into the doctor's office not knowing anything and blindly accepting everything he says. So, here's what I know. I had a thyroid panel ran in December and I just had a 2nd one ran this last week. The numbers didn't change much, although I have heard you need to have a panel ran 3 times for comparison. The doctor told me my numbers are, "within range" and that's all he said. I had to practically beg to have an antibodies test done and when the results came back, he referred me to an endo.

Dec TSH 1.97 range 0.40-5.50 April TSH 2.56
T4 Free 1.1 range 0.8-1.8 didn't do

T4 total 9.3 range 4.5-12.0 ug/dL 7.9

T3 Uptake 27.2 range 22.0-35.0 29.4

T4 Free calculated 2.53 range 1.53-3.85 2.32

T3 Total 140 range 60-181 140

Antibioties 69.9 <35. wasn't done in Dec.

This time I requested an antibodies test be done, it wasn't a suggestion from my doctor. All my doc wanted to do was increase my Celexa. Sad, isn't it?
The doc recommends I see an endocrinologist--I have an appt on May 17th.

What should I know, what should I ask, what should I tell them about? It's hard, I also have celiac disease, (gluten free for almost 7 yrs) and I have peripheral neuropathy. Which symptoms belong to which is very confusing. I have swelling on the inside of both legs just above my ankles and just above both wrists, is that thyroid? I know the fatigue is, the brain fog, the weight gain, constant headaches, and maybe even my anxiety.

I do not want to walk in not knowing anything. Any suggestions?

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote