View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 09:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks, Mark!

Thank you so so much for telling me about driving rehab therapists. I had NO IDEA they existed. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it on Wednesday. I'm assuming she would have to refer me?

I know the driving issue is a very serious one. The only reason I kept driving was that I was totally in denial. Denial can kill you! I'm so glad that it didn't kill me or anyone else! Now I am committed to not driving until I feel it's safe, and a driving rehab therapist would really help me evaluate my capabilities, so I'm really excited about that, because I don't think I'm a good judge of myself. I obviously haven't been in the past.

From your post: The common problems with driving caused by PCS are:
Easily distracted by other stimulation. YES! This may be my main problem! I just know that when I'm driving, it is absolutely excrutiating to have to focus on the task at hand.
Almost imperceptible absence seizures where the brain loses focus for a second or two. I wonder about this. Would this explain my losing time? An example of this is that I would carefully check my blind spot, see no one was there, and start to merge, only for a car to be there after all. It wasn't because they were speeding up or I wasn't seeing them. It was like more time passed between me checking my blindspot and me merging than I thought, or at least that's how it seemed to me.

I'm REALLY interested in knowing what supplements will be helpful to me or any literature on this subject. If you could post a list, that would be great. I'm also just wondering, if the neurologist isn't going to be that helpful, which I find disturbing, where can I turn for concrete research on this syndrome? Lastly, I'm interested in what you are saying about rest being helpful in recovery. I can say from my experience thusfar that I am doing MUCH better at home than I would be if I were working right now, but I just wonder if there's research about this?

The sad thing is, my job shouldn't even be very stressful, because it's not hard! I've always joked that a trained monkey could do it, and now, I can't seem to do it without screwing up. Therein lies the stress!

So, I guess when I return to work in three weeks--I have no choice, I need the income--I will have to implement some stopgap measures to try to prevent my errors. I've been thinking a lot about it, and I think that the kinds of mistakes I've made in the past eight months are preventable.

Thanks so much for responding to my post with such useful information. I really appreciate it!

Best,
Kristen
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote