View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the input jkl and stos2. I have decided against the injections and will give myself more time with rest and PT.

My appointment with Susan was great. She is definitely the best PT I have come across in terms of having the combined experience with Edgelow's protocol and manualized therapy. She is very very knowledgeable and as I mentioned before had TOS herself (treated non surgically). She has training with joint and soft tissue mobilization as well and I honestly think she is the best person to see if you are in the Bay area. My appointment was scheduled for 1 hour and she spent a full 2 hours with me.

I learned quite a bit from her and really wish I could stay in the area to continue my treatment with her. She said she feels the breathing component is definitely an important part of the recovery process, however once I am less sensitive, manual therapy needs to be worked in as well. Apparently my nerves are really fired up and even the slightest movement of my joints is difficult at this point without causing pain. My daily exercises for now will involve walking for 20 mins, diaphragmatic breathing for 20 mins, careful single joint movements of my arm, wrist, and elbow, as well as nodding and shaking of my head while lying down, and scar tissue massaging for a few minutes to help avoid the buildup of scar tissue, along with continuing with the icing on my scars and heat on my back muscles (all of this is to be done 4 times a day). She plans to work more on my left side a bit during our next and unfortunately last session (for now), since it less sensitive and hasn't been operated on yet. She also explained more to me how my winged scapula (resulted from my surgery may even be the source of much of my current arm and hand pain as my long thoracic nerve is very irritated. It also weakens my back muscles. So basically, I have a LOT of work to do before I can begin to see any real results and get back to any normal activities.

Also, after reading my surgical notes from Sanders and Annest, I noticed them saying something about me having 2 phrenic nerves on my right side. We are only supposed to have one. Susan explained the phrenic nerve is related to the diaphragmatic breathing but also to our emotions, I am wondering whether this somewhat explains why I am extra emo, I thought it was just a woman thing along with the stress of the pain and recent surgery and the meds I am on lol. She literally also said she is surprised how calm I was and that I wasn't a basket case (although I definitely am at times). I need to do some more research on the phrenic nerve as I am surprised still that not only do I have the extra c-ribs but also an extra nerve.

Btw Stos2, Susan's PT place apparently doesn't accept ANY insurance. I have to submit invoices for reimbursement to my insurance and put them as an out of pocket provider and hopefully that will cover some of my costs.

So anyway, I am hoping Susan can somehow communicate with the PT I find in Toronto so I can continue what I have began here and I hope I will start to see some more improvement soon!!
parbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stos2 (09-25-2012)