View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hmmmm . . .

Yes, as I said, I did waste my recovery time. I laughed about it, because what else can I do? I just have to do better from here on out!

I disagree with your opinions on ADHD. I think that a combination of meds + changing cognitive behavioral patterns is the best approach for me. Of course, everyone is different! My brother has ADHD too and meds don't help him, so I would never try to tell someone what is best for them. Also, it's not true that "the long term risk from ADD/ADHD is a tendency for Bi-Polar Disorder." Having ADHD is not going to lead to bipolar disorder. What is true is that ADHD and bipolar disorder can be comorbid, just as ADHD and depression or anxiety or OCD can be comorbid. I am not bipolar, but I have a tendency toward depression and anxiety. (Who wouldn't get depressed or anxious now and again when it feels impossible to live up to society's expectations for you?) Lastly, the idea that "much of the behavior is learned" totally misses the point of what ADHD actually is! For one, there's plenty of evidence that it's a genetic condition. It is certainly not a set of learned behaviors! It is a difference in how one perceives the world and in how one's brain functions. My whole life, it's like I've been in this fog, trying to do what everyone else does and to connect with others. I won't go on and on about it, but I was just surprised by your idea of what it is, because I think it shares a lot of common ground with symptoms of PCT. All of this said, our current culture of iphones and multi-tasking does encourage ADHD-like symptoms in non-ADHD people. That isn't ADHD though!

Being still is difficult for me, but I've been working on being present in the moment. It's hard.

My LO has been home with me 2-3 days of the work week and in daycare the rest of the time. We wanted to keep up some of her routine. I enjoy having her home with me, but it's nice to have the other days free to deal with insurance issues and go to doctors' appointments!
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote