View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Who is considered best of best?

I am recently diagnosed. I have been strongly encouraged by many many personal and professional friends who I consider very intelligent and whose opinion I strongly respect (judges, lawyers, doctors) that Florida is not the pace to get treatment for complicated medical condition. They say I need to go somewhere like Hopkins or Mayo. I appreciate their concerns but after doing all the reading I can, I think it wouldn't matter mayo or Hopkins because seems like not too many options with treatment. Then I think, some have suggested Steve Jobs, who had access the best in the world, may have been around a little longer but for the fact that he chose not to immediately get that "best" because he thought he had read about and knew better.

Having said that, I am as happy as I think I can expect to be with my neuro although I think he is under treating me for reasons I am not sure other than that I think he wants to be cautious (one of problems with being lawyer is I think doctors are as a rule conservative with treating lawyers) but I do not think he really appreciates how 'disabling' my condition is and that I will be losing my law practice if things don't improve dramatically very soon. I am single, live alone (except for my 3 loving Italian greyhounds) and must have a way to support myself. So no, I dont think i am not going to be intubated anyday but every day I feel crummy a shell of my former self.

So I am curious what everyone else thinks about who, what, where the cream of the crop is and is it worth it to seek help there? I have heard Mayo, Hopkins but I know at least one person on forum has said they went and had horrible experience. I'd hate to use my savings for a useless experience. I went to University of Miami where they have MG clinic up that was Not good.

Given what I think is the widespread acceptance of what is limited treatment options, it seems better to continue to try to enhance the working relationship I have started with my current neuro and just keep pushing that he be more aggressive. Any words of advice, wisdom are greatly appreciated!!
StephC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote