View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default help please: potassium supplements

I'm on HCTZ not so much for blood pressure, but as a diuretic to prevent migraines. I know this is weird and not supposed to work, but it works miracles. I used to have a dozen a month, and sometimes I'd throw up and pass out. Often I was delirious. On the HCTZ I have several a year.

Well, my potassium is a little low as a result of taking the drug. I think he said my last test was 3.6, which is just barely in the normal range. I take care to eat something potassium-rich every day, but it's not enough, evidently. I don't have any noticeable symptoms of low potassium (no muscle cramping), but I know there are concerns here for a myasthenic.

My doctor gave me a prescription for a supplement: 20mg a day, and I'm to have a blood test again in a week. Can one of you super-knowledgeable people help me out here? From this chart: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...ation/DR602373 it looks like 20mg isn't a high enough dose that I need to worry about overdosing, because that's what's in a potato, or a couple of small bananas. Can we talk about the concerns of low and high potassium for someone with MG, and what to look for?

Thanks!

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote