15 yr Member

Vowel Lady,

How did the surgery go today?

Hope you're doing okay...

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady View Post
bump

This situation is very similar to my own.

Since my extraction and bone graft on the same day, I've had pain, but also low grade fever. IT has been 3 weeks+.

I've had lots of blood work....about 16 vials taken. I've had a blood culture. I believe I had the c reactive taken and am awaiting one more related to inflammation (not back yet). I have a history of lupus, but was discovered to have Sjorgens Syndrome (I've had the symptoms for awhile now, but didn't recognize them...although my dentist was adament that my mouth was unusually dry).

Today, I am removing the bone graft
. I am using an Oral Surgeon. The Surgeon (but the dentist prior to surgery could AS WELL) can see inflamation all around the tooth (extracted tooth) area down low in the jaw.

From what I can discern, unless there is certainty of no infection (and my guess that would really be a rare case...because probably the majority of extractions are due to infection) AND the patient has unusually good health, the dentist should wait a good while (a minimum of a month) to make sure the infection is entirely gone.

I am not a dental professional, but I have been reading whatever I can get my hands on and I've seen two oral surgeons who have hinted (the current one strongly) this very thing...which coincides with what I have read on line. BTW, the first oral surgeon refused to take out the graft saying I should have my dentist take care of it. I am fortunate to have this oral surgeon today help me.

This has been one of the most difficult and frightening experiences of my life.

Please keep good thoughts for my graft removal today.

Thank you.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote