View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethshurtleff View Post
Also not from OK, but I do have OK information. Most recently, Oklahoma was awarding about 29.2% of new claims for Social Security disability. (national is 32.1%, so not too far off average).

I agree that you definitely NEED to include ALL of your conditions and impairments from the very beginning - do not pick and choose. I disagree with your doctor that mental health impairment claims go through faster. The process is the same for all impairments. The only things that help move the claim along are completing forms as quickly as you can and your doctors responding to Social Security's requests for your records.

As far as your chances go, it is really important for your doctors to submit opinions about your conditions. You can do a search online for a PRTF (Psychiatric Review Technique Form). Have your mental health provider complete this, and make sure it is signed or co-signed by a psychiatrist or psychologist - M.D. or Ph.D. They should also complete a "Medical Source Statement - mental" form. Both can be found in numerous places online. These are especially important for mental health cases because records alone do not have sufficient information for what Social Security is looking for.

You also want to make sure Social Security gets any x-rays or MRI's you've had on your neck or back.

As far as this getting-payment-from-SSI while SSD is pending, here's the deal: I have only ever seen 2 cases (been doing this for 7 years) where Social Security issued these up-front SSI payments. These are presumptive payments for those who file for SSI and claim to have a condition that alone will qualify for SSI if medical records substantiate it (usually, these are terminal illnesses or very, very severe conditions). For the rest, which is almost everyone, no payments are made at all until you have been officially awarded benefits. And SSI and SSDI are processed at the same time all the way through. It is more likely you will not get any payments for at least several months. But, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Lastly, ** getting yourself a representative (advocate or attorney). Yes, you have to give up 25% of your past-due benefits as a fee for help. But a rep knows all of this stuff and can help you so much. I recommend calling a few local attorneys and finding someone you are comfortable with. I don't recommend calling the large, national firms you see on TV all the time. It is my opinion that they are less-skilled and not as thorough. If you don't get an attorney up front, definitely look into it if you are denied.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the good info.
Red Flowers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Gracemary (10-25-2012)