View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi donnyboy,

DO NOT put anything in or on top of that extraction site. If your pain has increased (rather than decreased) over the last 2 days, then you could have a dry socket. You cannot take care of this yourself, so please do not attempt to medicate this area with anything.

The best thing to do is to continue to rinse with lightly salt warm water 4 times a day as this will help to keep the extraction site clean. Use NO mouthwash because that will cause further irritation. People think if they use Listerine or some other harsh mouthwash that it will kill the germs but what it really does is kill the good germs that are essential for healing.Take your antibiotic as prescribed, avoid eating on that side and avoid food that requires a lot of chewing, best to stick to a soft food diet. Take the advil every 4-6 hours with some food. Call your dentists office today and ask the service to have him call you back. Get in to see him on monday if not sooner.

A dry socket is actually deep in the bone. It is not on the surface where you can see. So you cannot reach the problem yourself.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing... stay calm and be very aware of your eating habits to avoid further pain.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyboy_77 View Post
Hi,
Im new to this site and i have already found it helpful however i am still nervous about my situation.
I had my lower right wisdom tooth removed 4 days ago. It was impacted and laying sideways although the tip had poked thru the gum line. The surgery went well i think. i was even able to eat a bit that night. i was prescribed penicillin and have been taking it. theres a reasonable ammount of pain during the day but advil takes care of most of that. At night however after a few hours sleep i wake up in a lot of pain! throbbing like pain! I also have an awful taste in my mouth. Iv tried rinsing with salt water as suggested by many. I was told that it could be dry socket. And since its a weekend i could put a gauze with some destine in the socket. but the socket is sewn up whole so i can't possibly get anything into it. theres also a small lump sitting alongside the tooth in front right where the incision started. doesn't seem to hurt though. could all be ok and this night pain be a result of grinding teeth or clenching my jaw? i don't mind pain but i hate not getting enough sleep. please help me!!!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote