View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default If I should ever get a laptop

Hi All. Just want to clear up some points before I even think about getting a notebook or a laptop.

I now have the modem/router thing with all these ethernet ports. We have the computer and Alan's Caption call phone connected to this modem/router.

I have the Kindle Fire which gets Wi Fi. So obviously I have a wi fi network set up which appears on my kindle fire.

Now, let's say I get a hold of a laptop. Any kind, notebook, cheap laptop, any kind of laptop. It will probably come with Windows 7 and built in wi fi right?

And I bring it home, take it out of the box, and open the laptop.

Do I have to do ANYTHING to get a wi fi signal? Do I have to install any software, ANYTHING??

Or do I just plug in the laptop, (does it have to be charged or can I plug it into a wall outlet and use it like I do my PC)?

And when I open the cover and press the power button, I gather I have to set it up initially, register it, etc. etc. It will have lots of stuff preloaded, I know this. It will have to come with pre-loaded wi fi software right?

Will it immediately start scanning when click on the IE browser (or whatever browser it comes with?) I use Google Chrome. So if a new laptop I get only has IE, I gather I have to go online, go to Google Chrome, download it and VOILA, I will have my browser that I like right?

Now getting online. Here's what I want to make sure.

When I open the laptop and hit the IE icon, it will start doing it's thing and start scanning right? Will it THEN FIND MY WI FI NETWORK, and indicate that I am connected??

I go to a friend's house and she has a laptop but she has no router in the house, she gets a signal off of neighbors open networks. Lousy signals but sometimes she gets one. That's how SHE goes on the internet.

But because I DO have a wireless router in my home, it (at least I think so), work exactly like my Kindle Fire?

Thanks.

Once I know ahead what will happen, I can start to save for a laptop or notebook. I don't need anything fancy. Just something so I can do ebay in a quiet place.

What would be the least expensive laptop you all think would get me on the internet and that I could watch movies on youtube and hulu, and do my ebay?

Don't need gaming software or bells and whistles. Just a good dependable cheap laptop (or notebook) don't know the difference.

Thanks much
P.S. I am LOVING this Kindle Fire
Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote