View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had plasma exchange last year. My procedure was preformed on an outpatient basis at the hospital - two treatments a week for six weeks. The way they did mine was through the viens in my arms. The needles were rather big but they gave me a numbing lotion to put on my arms before I left home so that by the time they were ready to insert the needles it didn't hurt too much.

They took blood from one arm, ran it through the machine and the blood was reinserted in my other arm. The machine was beside me so I did not see what was going on and they placed a couple of very warm blankets on me to keep me warm and help the blood flood easier. All in all the procedure wasn't too bad. It lasted about 45 minutes and the only thing I felt afterward was that I was very weak the rest of the day.

It did not help me at all, a total waste of time and money. It was a last resort try because five IVIG treatments also did nothing to help me. I guess the reason is because I have MG and SPS no one knows what will help SPS because it is so rare.

Good luck with your results.

Becky
Southern Bell
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BackwardPawn (10-05-2012), StephC (09-29-2012)