View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Drug induced comas are quite common for severe brain injuries. They use them to slow the brain until vessels heal and the brain is better able to control fluid pressures. The problem with comas is it causes the brain to forget the map to nerve pathways. This is why many comatose patients need extensive rehabilitation to slowly wake up these nerve pathways. Not a good solution for a mTBI.

Quiet rest is the recommendation. A few weeks off work in a disciplined low stress environment can make a big difference. It takes discipline to not over-exert while resting quietly. I suggest something like fresh water fishing. Sitting watching a red and white bobber for hours is good quiet rest. Or cast and retrieve a lure or fly fishing. They all have a slow pace.

There are other quiet rest activities. Quiet rest is the only worthwhile treatment.

My best to you.
I will have to wait until I can get a few weeks off work but that will not be until May 2013.

The 'pace' of activity is not the only thing that aggravates my symptoms. They are so easily offset that simply pulling a fishing rod to reel in a fish may worsen symptoms.

The only way to recover appears to be absolute bed rest. I would also hope that, over time, going to the bathroom would not aggravate things as it currently does.

If anyone else has advice that would be appreciated!

Thanks
Halfnelson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote