Thread: The MJFF
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi Brooks View Post
GM1 is definitely on our radar but there are some challenges with moving GM1 forward to a larger community that explain why it is not being pursued more by pharma at this time. In order to administer GM1, it needs to be purified from brains. The brains used thus far are bovine – cow. So, while the early information *may* be providing some proof of concept, we have a real practical challenge to use as a therapy.

The concern is that although there may be neuroprotection in preclinical models, and possible symptomatic benefit in PD patients, are you ultimately subjecting the study population to potentially developing another disease in the future. Given that bovine spongiform encephalopathy (ie. mad cow disease, a prion disease) can be transmitted between species, there would always be the possibility that along with the GM1 one purifies, some prion protein comes along with it. Alternatives for this source have been proposed, including sheep – but sheep can develop scrapie, another prion disorder so again, there is cause for concern.

Unless I have missed something there is absolutely no proof that BSE or Scrapies or Chronic Wasting diseases are transmissible through ingesting infected animals. This is a theory only that has been spread by media as fact.

Normally I would cite research studies but too many claim spread of BSE through oral route in lab animals. We are talking transmission from animal to human which I don't think we have an accurate or ethical model for. These anedotal facts; however, do not support ingestion of infected meat as a cause of human prion disease nvCJD.

a) People have been directly eating Scrapie-infected sheep since the 18th century and have not contracted a brain-debilitating condition from their lamb chops. Indeed, in Iceland, farmers tended to eat Scrapie-infected sheep, but up to ten years ago, the last period on which we have information, there have only ever been two cases of nvCJD (Scotsman, 28.3.96). Sheep brain also used to be sold as a delicacy in every butcher's shop in Scotland until recently.

b) Countries such as New Zealand, where Scrapie is unknown, still record cases of CJD (Independent,22.3.96).

We still don't know for sure but only it is a given. I can understand the concern. However, I find it highly ironic that we are concerned with this giving us another disorder when PD is likely a milder human variant of BSE. That is PD looks to be a prion disorder along with AD and ALS. The Nobel prize scientist who discovered it is stating so publicly. Interesting to see how long it takes for studies to reflect this?
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Thelma (10-02-2012)