Thread: Year update
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Year update

It's been 16 months since my injury. I haven't responded much since my only access to the site has been on my phone. It's way to hard to try to put thoughts down using such a device. lol

I finally got into speech therapy and it reiterated what I already know. I have short term memory issues. My biggest complaint is my shaky legs. I'm not sure if it's the medication or the injury and no one seems to know. I literally have problems walking down the stairs and when I go walking I notice my gait is way off.

Ok maybe that's not my biggest complaint. I hate writing my fears down but here it goes.

My brain just cant handle stress. I fog over and cant process everything that is being thrown my way. I've talked with my neuropsychologist and he says that I may need to change my environment. How can I do that? My son is a teenager and recently had some issues. He was assaulted and fractured a bone in his face and had a concussion as well. He suffered post concussion symptoms for about two weeks. Knowing how serious a head injury can be I immediately thought the worse. I made him rest and he seems to have recovered very well.

He is still a teenager though and is pressing his boundries and had some behaviours that weren't acceptable. I dealt with them but between my husband telling me what I didn't do right and dealing with the onset of troubles I was put into what my therapist called "crisis mode". I literally shut down. I told my son if things dont get better he will need to move in with his father.

This would be so hard for me to do. I hate to admit the fact that I cant care for my 16 year old son. I hate to admit the fact that my husband (who is my son's stepfather) keeps telling me I'm killing myself trying to care for my son. See the cycle here?

I am grateful dont get me wrong. I have improved in so many ways. I dont have headaches daily. Perhaps one every other day and the are lessoning in degree pain wise. I still have anxiety, depression, and have gained weight. These are bothersome to me. I try to walk but my gait isssues deter me.

Has anyone experienced the leg problems? I'm on Depakote, Celexa, Abilify and d/c the Lamictal. They thought perhaps the Lamictal was the issue but I'm questioning the rest of the medications. I hate having to take all these meds when prior to this injury I was medication free.

Sorry this is so long. It's been awhile since I've been on the site. I hope everyone has a good, pain free, non-confusing day.
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
greenfrog (10-01-2012), SpaceCadet (10-01-2012)