Thread: Plasmapherisis
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan068 View Post
The difference is the kind of port that they put in you to do it with. I had mine done in hospital the one and only time I had to have it. The port was a temporary line that would not be safe from a germ perspective out in the community (not saying the hospital is any kind of germ free area.... just that it isn't safe to have that kind of line in your neck when wandering around town.). If I were to have it regularly, they'd put in a more permanent port / pik line and do on an out-patient basis through that line.
They use a tunnelled catheter whenever I've have it. Its similar to a picc line, but routed under the skin differently. I suppose its up to the radiologist which he wants to use. One of the radiologists told me never to do the one thats placed in the neck or groin as the chance of infection is much greater (as Brennan mentioned). One thing I found this last time...I took my Sandisk Clip with me and listened to music while they put the line in--much less unpleasant than it had been in the past (but then there was also the anesthesia nurse who was surprised that I could recall the last line insertions and said she'd do something about that).

There actually are different kinds, based on what they are trying to remove from the blood. For our purposes, they're trying to get antibodies, so there is only one kind. The nurse told me that they can calibrate the machines to remove stem cells and then use those stem cells to cure certain types of cancer. Not really relevant, just thought it was interesting.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
StephC (10-01-2012)