View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

The gal who runs the animal rescue where we adopted little Maya this summer, twisted her foot stepping off a small bottom step of stairs. It hurt like the devil. She went to the ER and they Xrayed it and told her no broken bones, only a sprain.

It continued to hurt, swell up some and become unbearable. 3 days later she went to a nurse practitioner who re-Xrayed the foot and found 3 broken metatarsal bones! So she was put in a cast for 2.5 months! Another friend of ours, broke a metatarsal (she was in her mid 40's), just squatting down to get something out of a bathroom cabinet. She had to get a bone scan, which showed she had a hidden osteopenia. Because she waited too long to get the correct diagnosis, she had a long recovery and pain for several months.

It is always possible that a doctor can miss something, read an Xray before it is really dry, or be just plain wrong. Many of our posters have had to see many many doctors, therefore, to sometimes get adequate help. If your foot swells, and/or becomes discolored, I'd see another doctor for further Xrays.

You might try aspirin, as this seems to help with PN pain for many here. I use AlkaSeltzer because it is easiest on the stomach. But regular aspirin will work too. If aspirin is effective that points to an inflammatory cause of your pain. Make sure you have doctor approval and support, because aspirin can cause spontaneous bleeds, even in healthy people. I have a colleague with severe RA, who is also on Humira. She uses only for pain, Salsalate, an RX aspirin, and says it works best for her over other pain medications.

There are also patches, Salonpas. But I don't know if you have those where you are located. These have methyl salicylate in them and take down pain well for me in the feet. (I have cracked sesamoid bones, which flare up with pain sometimes in addition to my PN issues). Salonpas originated in Asia, and came to the US about 10 yrs ago. I believe they are internationally available. In the US they do not require a doctor's prescription.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote