View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Hmmmm.... if your arm span is longer than your height, that is a general indicator for Marfan's syndrome. Were you ever tested for that? This genetic disorder, affects the collagen in the body and also the aorta integrity (and other blood vessels). I'd consider discussing this with your doctor, as many women are hidden with this disorder.
Actually my second eldest son, 25, was recently asked about this by the orthopedic surgeon he was sent to after a car accident. He has developed winged scapula as a result of the accident, but is 6'4" with the same body proportions. Very long hands and fingers as well. He does has a compromised heart/lung condition due to a collapsed rib cage, 5 on the Haler index, which kept him out of OCS and ruined his career plans for law enforcement. His physique is awkward and fragile to say the least. At Walter Reed, where they sent him after seeing 3 army doctors, they said basic training would kill him. His lungs cannot expand. The ortho decided not to test for it because I don't appear to have it.
Neither neuro suggested Marfan's, and other than extremely high triglycerides I do not appear to have any heart disease markers.

I think one of us probably should be tested. Everything I have read about Marfan's seems to indicate more of a discernible, serious heart condition. If you think it can be hidden I should get tested for the children's sake. I already have guilt over passing this (CMT) on to at least one of them.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote