View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sitting is NEVER good for prolonged times for a spinal patient. Wakiing is GREAT exercise for us, as it strengthen both the legs and the back and it just is healthy all around. Instead of sitting, have her lay back in a recliner with the legs up, or lay down on a couch with pillows under her legs. NEVER let her lay on her stomach as that is a NO-NO for spinal patients!!! If she wants to lay on her side, she MUST have pillows between her knees to keep the spine aligned.

She should also probably have a cervical pillow to help keep her neck stable too. Those can be found at health supply stores. They are "U" shaped and filled with various stuffings.

I would talk to her doctor about physical therapy. I would have thought he would have mentioned that himself! Shame on him for NOT. Give them a call and see what they want to do.

And SHAME on them for NOT giving you any kidn of instructions re: sitting, standing, walkiing. They left you basically uninformed and that's not good at all. They aren't doing their job! I wish you the very best my friend. You have a huge job as it is without all this too. Bless your heart! God bless and keep us posted on her progress will you? Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-05-2012), spine95 (10-04-2012)