View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, FREDH. I hope I can clarify a few things about that.

MG in and of itself does not predispose you to having cancer. Being treated with steroids and other immunosuppressants can, since they suppress the immune system. There are many examples of people who have autoimmune diseases, get treated with those drugs and end up with a cancer from them. A woman I knew who had lupus ended up with a brain tumor from her treatments. Robin Roberts, who had breast cancer, had chemotherapy and then got myelodysplastic syndrome from it. She just had a bone marrow transplant and, hopefully, she will be okay. And there are people whose family have a strong history of cancer who are advised against such treatments due to that.

But not everyone who has steroids or other immuno drugs gets cancer.

MG, if it is constantly moderate to severe, can cause higher blood pressure. Higher blood pressure can lead to other problems, like heart and kidney issues. But having a primary doctor and neurologist to monitor you yearly should help to minimize any potential problems.

LEMS (Labert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome) is a bit different than MG and can predispose patients to a type of small cell lung cancer.

A lack of acetylcholine, which MGers can have, can make someone's peristalsis (how food is moved through the GI tract) slow down. You can be more constipated due to that.

MG all by itself is a handful but it doesn't necessarily lead to other issues. It's important that if you get sick, that you see your primary doctor, and neurologist if necessary, to get treatment if you need it, since it can make MG worse.

Does that help? Are you worried about something in particular? I think a conversation with your primary doctor and/or neurologist about all of this would be a good idea. Take care.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FREDH (10-04-2012), StephC (10-03-2012)