View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Actual success with programmable

Has anyone seen actual success with programmable shunts? More specifically, any success with anything other than the Miethke proGAV?

I've had non-programmable shunts since I was 2 for congenital hydrocephalus, thats about 30 years now... All of my shunts have been medium pressure non-programmable. My first lasted for 17 years, and then I'd had one about every three years since. I'm over-draining now, not seriously but my ventricle is definitely small, and my NS wants to go with a Strata. But so far all of the posts I can find have nothing but problems with the programmable. Is there any actual good news with programmable?

Or for those with programmable, would you recommend them or should i just stick with my tried and true version?

Side note: I think I actually caused this problem. I was dieting pretty heavily for about 6 months and let myself get dehydrated repeatedly. I believe the repeated dehydration caused a decrease in CSF production and probably brought on my current symptoms. Bad me, but I don't think I can blame the shunt.
slicetech is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote