View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned User

10 yr Member
Banned User

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You need to get the results of your B12 tests in numbers.... "normal" is not sufficient. Lab ranges in US report levels of 200 as "normal" and that is now known to be too too low. Even the cut off of 400 is low for anyone with neuro symptoms. Read my thread that I linked for you. Then you will understand, more clearly.

Most doctors do not understand or treat low B12 according to the new information available now about it.

But that is YOUR decision. It is a basic fundamental supplement for your nervous system. And in the end you will be responsible for maintaining it for the rest of your life.

When you get the methylcobalamin replaced make sure you take it on an empty stomach. Most is dissolved in your saliva and you swallow that. It will be absorbed then passively (without instrinsic factor from the stomach being needed) in the small intestine. But if there is food and fiber present, then the micrograms which are very tiny are absorbed into the food and move along past the absorption site and are then lost. So EMPTY STOMACH assures oral absorption. Very little is absorbed under the tongue, in reality.
I have wanted to look at my lab work for a while, and I was planning on requesting a copy of all of my numbers at my next visit. Getting ahold of those may be difficult now, though, because I actually just cancelled the upcoming appointment I had with my neurologist and asked my GP for a referral to another one because I don't feel like the current neuro listens to or takes me seriously. So it may be kind of awkward to walk in there and be all, "Hi, it's me. The woman who no longer wants to see you and is seeking a second opinion. Can I have a copy of the lab work you did on me?" But I guess I am entitled to see my own numbers regardless. I have a cardiologist appointment at the same medical center next week, so I'll call in ahead of time and ask my neuro's assistant if she can print off a copy of my lab work to pick up while I'm there. Then I'll let you all know what my numbers were.

I've actually been taking my B-complex on a full stomach because my multivitamin makes me very nauseous if I take it on an empty stomach, so I figured there was a chance the same would be true with the B vitamins. Thanks for letting me know that I should actually be taking it on an empty stomach.
medicalmystery7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote