View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dealing with family

I can only speak for myself and my own expeirences. My son attempted and came VERY VERY close. My wife and I lived at the hospital that first ten days. He was more open and we learned he had a terrible event that was torturing him and he felt he could not talk about it. We talked and talked. He got therapy, several psychiatrist. Myself and my wife also. Here is what I learned.

Suicide attempts are an act of desperation, there maybe more than one reason. People who attempt are not thinking clearly. If family members fail to notice or once noticing fail to act this is not a healthy enviroment. Even though there may be clarity after the attempt. Actually resolving what drove the attempt may take a long time to resolve. MAYBE more IMPORTANT than anything else is validity the person who attempts is in horrible pain. Pain so terrible they would rather die. Keep communication open no matter how hard. Boundaries may have to be set and kept. We assured our son we would do whatever we could. But he had to try to as this was not going to be easy. Often the one who attempted suicide can become to afraid to face and work out what drove them to that extreme. We were lucky and his attempt was 5 years ago. But he still fights his demons. We do talk and our relationship has gotten better as he got older. I hope this helps.

To see the divine in the moment.
rmschaver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (10-04-2012), Alffe (10-05-2012), barbo (10-04-2012), Longandwindingroad (10-07-2012)