View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentul View Post
HI Leesa
Thank you so much for your response, advice and encouragement, Really needed this info right now. I mad a decision today that tomorrow would be the day to get hold of the physio who advised us in hospital. I must admit that the pillow between the knees has been neglected over the last week or so, so I shall make sure I do this again. it makes perfect sense really. She mostly spends her day lying on alternate sides. We have been for a few walks. The longest being 25 minutes. She manages that fine. The pain is much less today and have cut back on the pain meds further. Basically letting her show me how much pain she is having before I decide how much to give her, but these are much reduced.
Our surgeon, although one of the best in the world, is just the: a surgeon. I have to take Jo back in 6 weeks only! A long time in between to basically mess things up if not given the right guidance. So thanks again. x
As ususal, Lee was right on. She should know...........the hard way. So many of us did not get proper instructions for home care from our surgeons or the discharge summaries. We have learned the hard way and from eachother. I hate the idea that you don't see the surgeon for six weeks post op. Gosh. A 25 minute walk sounds great. As she gets stronger, pick up the pace or consider a second walk later in the day. This is a marathon, not a sprint so take it nice and easy as she can tollerate it. The walking not only strengthens her but as she can walk more aggressively, she will start pumping those endorphins which will improve mood and can reduce pain somewhat. Endorphins are my drug of choice, personally.

If anything comes up that concerns you, call the surgeon's office and keep calling until you talk to him.......not the secy. Trust your gut. You know your child and when "something" is wrong. You don't have to know what that something is. In the meantime, keep coming back here. There are no dumb questions and you can't ask too many. Oh, don't forget the pillows. They really give needed support. I haven't had any major spinal surgery for six years and I still use all of mine as I continue to need the support. I have told my kids to bury me with them. No sense of humor, those girls. Have a good night and take care. Prayers and hugz.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote