View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My Daughters unique...So I've been told

Well, the world of blogging is brand new to me, but I'm so desperately looking for anyone who has a similar story to my daughters.
In January of 2012 my daughter who was 15 at the time, was playing basketball for her high school. She was sprinting down the court guarding her player behind her, She turned forward and ran right into a girl who was planted and a bit taller than her. My daughters right temple hit the girls shoulder which then caused my daughter to fall straight back with the back of her head hitting the gym floor hard. She did not get knocked out, but at the same time could not focus on anything. Walking was even difficult. Well, off to the ER for a CAT scan that was clear, a week later an MRI that was clear and 2 months later Neuropsych testing and 2 brain mappings. The damage is shown to be at her left temple (opposite) and the front of her brain. We are told PCS which I agree with.

This though is the uniqueness that has stumped the Doctors. My daughter for the first 3 weeks of her concussion lost all memory of people anywhere from immediate family to friends, teachers, grandparents etc. It came back after 3 weeks. However, she had to re-learn colors, shapes, food, animals, states, countries, cultures, habitats, seasons, snow, rainstorms and the list goes on. She became very literal...if you were to tell her that trees walk around, she'd believe you. She has learned there is joking and so will often ask if something is real or a joke. She really doesn't have filters although she is learning. Just this week I explained to her the changing of the fall colors that this is a new season. If we go out to eat, I help her pick the meal since she is still learning her food. Just a couple months ago, we worked at getting her to understand the difference between real and animation. Toy Story completely scared her making her think toys really came to life. Shes slowly getting it but will still say to us "thats not real right?"
Also with school...classes that were once easy are now more difficult, and math that was always difficult is now easy. She does not struggle with numbers at all anymore.
We have come a long way, but have such a long way to go with memory. She has snipets of her past, but for the most part doesn't remember it.
Its been 9 months...her neuropsych testing shows her to be right where she should be.
She is very much a 16 yr old. Loves life, loves sports (which shes had to take a break from) has friends.
She does struggle with bright lights, noise, crowds, fatigue, can become easily stressed and then gets headaches when we become too stressed.
Short term memory is a struggle as is recalling.
However in the last 2-3 weeks, the sensitivity to lights, noise, crowds and fatigue have become worse.
Our Neuropsych has reccomended neuro feedback.
Has anyone dealt with this kind of memory loss? Has Anyone gone through neuro feedback? Just looking for any answers or help.
Thanks!
ShayRay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote