View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nick,

First, you do not want a rifle. They are of little use in a close quarters defense. There are a number of short barrel (legal length) sold for personal protection like a Mossberg 500 Defender. A pump action shot gun would be best. Women feel better using a shot gun. They can hold it clutched between their arm and check like they hold a purse. It points where ever they turn. A pump shotgun stored where a child can't reach it would be safest. A 12 gauge loaded with buck shot will blow through a closed interior door. Mount an LED flashlight to the forestock.

Any criminal knows the sound of a shotgun being racked (the sound and motion of loading a shell into the chamber), even through a locked interior door.

As for the sound and percussion of firing it, take it to a range with an personal defense instructor. Most of the training will be without firing the shotgun. When you are going to fire it, wear foam ear plugs plus head phone style hearing protection. After training and practice, you will have time to recover from the event.

Regarding a silencer, you can get them in Nevada. There is a background check (probably an obstacle for you) plus a $200 fee to ATF plus the cost of the silencer. Added to the cost of a reliable pistol that will accept a silencer, you are talking some serious money, $1200 to $2000. Plus, a handgun is not very effective in close quarters. It needs to be aimed accurately and any gun pro will tell you than that means shooting a box of ammo per month. Add to that the added risk of a handgun being a prime target for theft and it can make your home even more of a break-in risk.

Another option is a semi-automatic 22 caliber like a Ruger 10-22. It can hold a clip or 10 or 25 to even 50 rounds. It will fire through a door and has a short barrel. They sell for about $350 and are quiet shooters. There are studies supporting the self-defense value of 22 caliber weapons. You can shoot them at the range very affordably.

In any choice, you need to consider how to keep your home safe from occupants and visitors using the weapon carelessly. Find a defense of the home firearms course to take first. Learn how to handle each weapon (trainers often have weapons to use).

An alternative is a extremely high decibel screamer personal alarm. You will likely find them at shops that also sell pepper spray. 120 db or higher sound can disable an intruder so they will flee. It will also bring attention to your home. They can be carried with you when out in public. Some have pepper spray or a strobe. The sound and strobe would be good for a home.

They are very affordable, $20 to $40, so they would be an excellent choice for each of you. You could buy a few and stash them in the apartment and still have one for each of you to carry.

I would recommend the personal alarm for affordability, safety, and versatility. Plus, a personal alarm will not be a risk for those 'downer' days.

I have owned guns for decades and the safety risk they bring into your home is constant. My wife and I both have concealed carry permits but never do carry.

So, go buy a few personal alarms. Then, get some firearms training so you understand the risks of firearms. I believe firearms training should be required of all junior high students with annual refreshers. Understanding firearms is valuable regardless of whether one owns a firearm. You kids will need to understand the danger of a firearm and respect them.

In my day, almost very young boy (8 to 10 years old) had or frequently shot a BB gun or pellet gun. I started shooting pellet guns at 4 or 5 years old. Today, it is illegal to shoot even a BB gun with most city limits. Even sling shots are illegal within city limits in most cities.

So, get some good training. You will be glad you did.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (10-05-2012)