View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:38 AM
RavenC

RavenC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbs View Post
Alice md;

I meant who decides which to test and use.

Of all on that list, we are primarily prescribed, Imuran and Cellsept. Both Immunosuppressants. Prednisone, A Corticosteroid. And a couple of possible new treatments. Rituxan and Cytoxan. Both Antineoplastic Agents.

Who decides.

scrubbs
It's not only those 2 they use for MG. There are also patients who get Ciclosporine, cyclosphosphamide or methtrexate.

I don't know if I understand your question correctly (do you mean testing like in farmaceutical industry / scientific research or testing on patients?) I can only answer the latter:
It is a preference of the prescribing doctor and it depends on the situation of the patient. If he* has negatieve experiences with, let's say, ciclosporine, fat chance he will only prescribe it if the patient has tried everything else and has still crisisproblems. If the patients has other diseases like RA, they may try methotrexate first because it's known to be good for RA, and it may work for some with MG. And of course the costs: CellCept is expensive for example.
And prednisone, well, that just works for a lot of patients.

*he or she

@alice md, I'm a C too.
But I was told it's not that easy to just "dont take any" because it will flare up like hell and get's back even worse then it was before.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote